Saturday 11 August 2018

Cotton & Chalk Dungarees AKA The outfit that almost never was

So I've wanted a pair of dungarees for ages and I even had the pattern ready to go , but I just couldn't find the perfect fabric that just leapt out and said "Look at me! I'm everything you've ever wanted, let's run away together and live happily ever after!" So after literally months of checking every fabric shop under the sun, I thought, maybe I should just keep it simple and make them in a plain colour, since that would be sensible and I'd actually get more wear out of them. So I thought about different types and different weights of fabrics and I decided that black cotsat would be the ideal fabric because its not too heavy or too light and has that liiittle bit of stretch to make them extra comfortable. So off I went on my hunt again and searched and searched and searched but I just couldn't find any for a decent price! So I went into the Birmingham Rag market looking for alternatives and I described what I was looking for to one of the stall holders and lo and behold he had it!! I said I need 2.7m and he said he would do me 3m for £13! What a bargain! So I bought my fabric and went on my merry way 😁

I got all my pieces cut out, stitched the bib together, assembled the trousers (complete with pockets) and thought I'd better try them on just to be sure, and they were bloody massive! They were what can only be described as 'enormous clown trousers' πŸ˜‚ I couldn't believe it! I had followed the sizing and the instructions to the letter and they were just unwearable, I know that they are designed to be a bit loose and casual looking, but they were just ridiculous. So after a fashion, I decided to resize them completely, but did I have any tracing paper left? Nooooooooooo! Of course not! So I had to order more tracing paper and wait for it to arrive, trace the legs two sizes smaller and re cut them. Which I did, but by then the whole country had been dropped into Satan's oven and it was way too hot to sit in the south facing sewing room and actually put them together.

Accurate representation of my sewing room

 Cut to a few weeks later, it's finally cool enough to sew them up so I crack on and get the trousers and straps assembled, throw everything together and get the trousers rolled up and pressed in place (with a lot of help from my long suffering husband) and they are GLORIOUS!!! I bloody love them! And no jokes about MC Hammer from certain colleagues (James, I'm looking at you) will change how much I love them ♡






They even have beautiful Liberty cotton pockets (leftover from the robe I made for my Mum) in the trousers and lining the bib pocket πŸ’–



My only problem I have with them is the same problem I have with all dungarees and jumpsuits, you have to practically strip off to go to the loo! πŸ˜‚ πŸ˜‚ But in all seriousness, these are incredibly comfortable and that dreaded word practical 😱 and I can just roll the legs down when it gets cold!πŸ˜‚

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shameless plug of my Etsy shop!

As the title says, this is literally just a shameless plug of my updated Etsy shop 😁 My shop is also called Invisible Duck Crafts and can...