Tuesday 19 September 2017

McCalls 6659 Robe

I got the pattern for this lovely robe recently, I think it was the last time McCall's was on sale because I hate paying full price for a pattern haha! It looked relatively easy so I thought I'd make one for my Mum for Christmas. I managed to find this lovely Liberty print on eBay for £11/m and I needed 3.5m so it was a bit on the pricey side for a robe, but you get what you pay for!

The pattern was nice and simple to piece together, it's literally just a back, two fronts, two sleeves and a tie. I did french seams because I'm usually a really lazy sewer, but I wanted this to be really well made and last a long time.


Once the front pieces were attached to the back, I moved on to the sleeves. Now I will confess something here, when it comes to inserting sleeves, I lose any sort of brainpower. No matter how many times I've inserted sleeves in the past, I can never remember which way round the pieces should be πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ So this time, when I figured it out, I wrote it down in my sewing project notebook with a really crude etching of what to do, but at least now I finally have it figured out. In case anyone has a sleeve blind spot, you turn your body piece (inside out) and insert the sleeve (right side out) so that the two right sides are together. It's so simple, I know!

After the sleeve fiasco, it was just a case of sewing the tie, making a couple of wee belt loops and hemming it! So here is the finished article:





My Mum is only 5'3" so this should reach about mid calf on her. I hope she likes it, and if not then I'll have it because I love it! πŸ˜‚

Cost:

Pattern - £4.30
Fabric - £38.50

Difficulty Rating:

2/5 - but only because I have a brain fart with sleeves, other than that it was super easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shameless plug of my Etsy shop!

As the title says, this is literally just a shameless plug of my updated Etsy shop 😁 My shop is also called Invisible Duck Crafts and can...