Monday 11 September 2017

Throw Cushion Tutorial

So today I will be showing you lovely people how to create simple zip close cushions for your living room/bedroom/bathroom (hey, I don't know what you do in there!)

I decided to make myself some nice new cushions earlier this year since my old ones were a bit on the scruffy side. I treated myself to some lovely red and grey Moon wool, a plain red polyester for the back and some grey velvet (which was cheap in the sale, yaaaasss!!) for the secondary cushions.
 
So what you need to do is decide on the size of cushion you want (for me it was 16" square cushions) and add 1/2"on each side for your seams (17" square).

You will need:
  • Enough fabric to make the amount of cushions you want e.g for either a 16" or 18" cushion, 50cm will give you either 3 fronts or 1.5 full cushions (presuming that your fabric is 54" wide) and remember to account for patterns such as checks if you want them all to match!
  • Enough zips either regular closed end or invisible, remember to get zips that are a couple of inches shorter than the finished size of your cushion, e.g I used 14" zips.
  • Nice sharp scissors
  • Pins
  • Matching thread
  • Cushion pads that are a couple of inches larger than your finished cover size so that your cushions are nice and full.
If you don't have a sewing machine you can absolutely still make these, but you will need a lot more patience that I ever have πŸ˜‚

Step 1

Cut out your squares, this can either be done with a square template or a ruler works just as well. Also if you're not a lazy git like me, you could even give your fabric a press first πŸ˜‚


Step 2

Sew one side of the zip onto the right side of your fabric at the bottom and then do the same for the other side. This can get a bit fiddly, so take your time.

 

Step 3

Once your zip is attached to both the front and back of your cushion, with right sides facing sew around your cushion with a 1/2" seam allowance. Snip off the corners so that they are pointy when you turn them out.


Step 4

Turn your cushion the right way out, stuff your cushion pad inside and zip up!

Step 5

Chuck them on your couch and marvel at your beautiful handiwork! πŸ˜„πŸ˜„


Total cost

  • Fabric - around £48
  • Zips - around £9
  • Thread - stash
  • Cushion pads - reused the ones from the old cushions
So total cost of around £57 for 4 wool cushions and 4 velvet cushions, not to bad at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shameless plug of my Etsy shop!

As the title says, this is literally just a shameless plug of my updated Etsy shop 😁 My shop is also called Invisible Duck Crafts and can...