Tuesday 26 September 2017

Simplicity 8212 Leggings Practice Run

So I've been wanting to make a pair of leggings for a while, but I didn't want to get really nice Lycra and then bugger it up so I had a wee practice run! I used Simplicity 8212 which gives a choice between full length and calf length, panels or no panels and mid rise or high rise waistband. I decided to do the full length, no panels and high rise waistband, because I'm one of those people that wears their tights up to their tits πŸ˜‚
I needed some fabric for my practice run so my lovely friend Nora took me to the Fancy Silk Store in Birmingham (which is amazing btw, you should all go) and I found a nice sort of snakey/scaley print black lycra that would do just nicely!
Ooohh shiny!

The pattern called for 1.6m to make the full length with mid rise waistband pair in the largest size so I decided to get 1.8m just to be double safety sure with the higher waistband, which was POINTLESS. I only ended up using, 1.3m and that was with the higher waistband. Maybe if I had to pattern match I would have used the 1.6m but now I have half a metre of lycra sitting unused, so if anyone has any ideas of what to do with it, hit me up!

The leggings themselves were easy enough to make, although I had to use a zigzag stitch on my regular machine since my overlocker was acting the goat. The waistband was a bit on the fiddly side to put on, but overall not too bad! Here is a very unclear picture of the finished product, I don't have a full length mirror so I had to prop my phone on my chair and put the timer on haha!

Now, these are not the type of thing I would normally wear out of the house, so I'm keeping them as 'hoose clothes' just now, but let me tell you this, they are SO FREAKIN' COMFY! I literally want a pair in every print! Buuuuut, since I'm not a billionaire I will be sticking to gradually building up my collection of them. The fabric that I really wanted from Funki Fabrics was a beautiful galaxy print one, but I can't find it now! So my next two choices were The Scream and colourful balls things.


 Are they not amazing?! But, while I was browsing the site, I found the perfect fabric for visiting home...
 FREEDOM!!!

SCOTLAND!!!! YASSSSS!!! *ahem* Anyway... overall this was a good wee project, even though I lost the battle with my overlocker. I will definitely be making more pairs of these and if anyone ever wants to buy my love, I take Funki Fabrics vouchers πŸ˜‰πŸ˜‰


Cost

  • Pattern - £4.50 (I bought it half price, of course!)
  • Fabric - 1.6m at £11.99 = £19.18
  • Elastic and thread - stash

Total cost - £23.68 


 Difficulty Rating

2/5 because the waistband is a bit fiddly
 

2 comments:

  1. Wow! There are so many prints in these. Even I bought some printed carbon38 leggings last week. I prefer printed ones because it helps in hiding the garment line underneath. Good to have come across this post. I can shop more for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you own a home gym and you are in the lookout for home gym wall art decals to spice it up you need to check out the online store of Value Add Mart. They have amazing motivational wall art posters and frames that will definitely motivate you to workout harder regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Shameless plug of my Etsy shop!

As the title says, this is literally just a shameless plug of my updated Etsy shop 😁 My shop is also called Invisible Duck Crafts and can...