Saturday 1 December 2018

Hello Tiger - SOI Cora Top

The perfect woven top pattern is something that I've really struggled to find. I always see people on Instagram looking effortlessly chic with their woven tops, but every time I made one it would get as far as my boobs and then fall straight down, making me look all boxy and stiff which is just not a good look. I really wanted the Scout Tee to work for me because it's one that so many people rave about, but I just can't get it to look flattering on me!

When I saw that Sew Over It had released a new woven top pattern I thought, "Could this be it? Is this the pattern I've been searching for?" My head went for 'maybe' which is good enough for me! 😂 It has a V neck which is always a winner for me so I bought the pdf, printed and assembled it and went on the hunt for the perfect fabric.

I was at the Birmingham Rag Market during sew Brum (this seems to be a theme in my posts recently😂) and as I floated between the stalls, I saw some fabric hanging up at the back of a stall and I became the literal heart eyes emoji! It was perfect! But how did I get it?! I started rummaging through the piles of bolts of fabric on the stall until I saw a little tiger poking out, I FOUND IT! I immediately hauled it out of the pile and got straight in the queue to get it cut.

Isn't it just glorious?!
I got cracking on the construction and the theory is pretty simple, but the slippery fabric did test my patience a few times. The front has a kind of folded pleat at the point of the neckline which gave it a bit more floatiness (if that's even a word?) Like most woven tops, it's still on the boxy side but because the fabric is so soft and floaty it wasn't as bad and I went for a little partial tuck in when styling it which I think made all the difference.


I am the Tiger Raptor!!



I didn't stitch the pleat as it stated in the instructions because I felt that the fabric was a bit to lightweight to stitch right across it so I just hand stitched it in place.

I don't know if the perfect woven top pattern exists for me, but I think this is pretty close. I reckon I would make it again as long as I could get the same weight of fabric (and another amazing print wouldn't hurt!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shameless plug of my Etsy shop!

As the title says, this is literally just a shameless plug of my updated Etsy shop 😁 My shop is also called Invisible Duck Crafts and can...